This week I am going to talk about something I never talk about…. Sex. There are many reasons I do not talk about sex (1) I grew up in a Muslim family and this is not an open discussion topic,(2) men tend to think when women talk about sex it is an open invitation to say and ask inappropriate things. However, I am going to look pass both and talk about it.
As stated in the previous post (read here) a quiz will be given on sex (well more like sex education). Sex is one of the major factors that make up a healthy relationships. However, unlike love if health or some other factor prevents sex in older adults they still maintain healthy, loving relationships. In the later years the companionship out ways the lack of sex. Anyways, in the book it was stated most students get a c and the average person scores the same or less about sex and that worries me a great deal. (Along with the quiz I will give my score and what I tell a few truths about sex.)
ASK YOURSELF: How Much Do You Know about Sex?
1. Birth control pills offer protection against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). True or False
2. Out of every ten married American men, how many would you estimate have ever had an extramarital affair?
a. Fewer than one out of ten
b. One out of ten (10 percent)
c. About two out of ten (20 percent)
d. About three out of ten (30 percent)
e. About four out of ten (40 percent)
f. About five out of ten (50 percent)
g. About six out of ten (60 percent)
h. More than six out of ten
3. If your partner is truly meant for you, sex is easy and wonderful. True or False
4. Petroleum jelly, skin lotion, and baby oil are good lubricants to use with a condom or diaphragm. □ True □ False
5. About 10 percent of the U.S. population is exclusively homosexual. True or False
6. A woman or teenage girl can get pregnant during her menstrual flow (her period). True or False
7. A woman or teenage girl cannot get pregnant if the man withdraws his penis before he ejaculates. True or False
8. Douching is an effective method of birth control. True or False
9. A person can become infected with an STI only when a partner’s symptoms are visible. True or False
10. Menopause, or change of life, causes most women to lose interest in having sex. True or False
11. What do you think is the length of the average man’s erect penis?
a. 2–4 inches
b. 5–7 inches
c. 8–9 inches
d. 10–11 inches
e. 12 inches or longer
12. In the United States, syphilis is one of the two most common STIs. True or False
(Benokraitis, 2011 p.166)
12 Truth about Sex (facts based on U.S. data).
Teen pregnancy has been on a decline over the last decade (see cdc stats).
States with the highest rates of teen pregnancy are those that teach Abstinence-only (they do not teach about safe sex and contraceptive.
The median age for boys to have sex is 16.9 years and for girls its 17.4 years. By 20 75% of people have had sex.
Teaching children about sex and contraceptives is not teaching them it’s okay to have sex. Talking to children starting BEFORE they are sexual active prolongs the time teens become sexual active, and when they do start having sex they are more likely to be safe when doing it.
Withdrawing the penis before ejaculation is a form does not prevent pregnancy, despite what you may have been told.
You can get both STI’s (sexual transmitted infections) and STD’s (sexual transmitted disease) from oral sex.
1 in 4 people will get an STI under the age of 25. That means before having sex have a conversation about STI’s.
No birth control outside of condoms provides protection against STI/STD.
The pill (oral contraceptive) is effective 99.9 percent of the time when taken as directed.
Women are just as sexual active as men.
Women are called names like hoe, promiscuous, and other negative words for being sexually active. While men are “just being me” think about that double standard the next time you call a women out of her name.
Women are more likely than men to be bisexual.
Answers to “How Much Do You Know about Sex?”
Every question is worth 1 point add up your total number of points.
A 11, 12
B, 9, 10
F below 7
I got an A I got 11 questions right. With that said I also took a class on human sexuality. African Americans are also the most likely to talk to their children about sex (my sister did the talking not my parents.) How did you do post your score and tell me what you learned.