I am listening to/watching: CSI New Orleans S 1, E 10
Mood: Hungry, Loved, Excited
Time: 7:58 pm
This is a tough one school is like taking on another fulltime job without the pay. Taking on getting a higher education is one of the hardest things I’ve done. I will give some tips here on how to balance school life when you work.
Disclaimer: I go to school online so some of this tips will not apply if you go on campus.
- Pick one class a day to focus on. If you are taking more than one class (good chance you are) do not try and study and write for 3 or 4 different class at one time. You will make mistakes, you will waste time, and you will remember less.
- Start major assignments early. If you have a syllabus write every major assignment down with the due date (can download a free chart below). If you have research essay take 10 to 15 minutes a week (when you first learn of the assignment). These 15 minutes will make the writing a breeze later.
- When working on essay and test (if online and allow you to go in and out) split the load. Let’s say you have a ten-page essay (along with the tip above) write 2 or 3 pages at a time. Same for a 100 question quiz, split it up do 50 question and then another 50. You can shave off hours by doing this.
- Keep a bibliography annotation. Keep a list of the things you read, the key things about it, and how it can aid in your essay. This will save you the time of having to reread EVERYTHING.
- Study for 3 hours and stop for 1, keep this up if you are studying all day/night. It is proven that your brain will not take any more information after 3 hours. I switched to the strategy about a year ago my grades got better and I was able to remember more. You also open up a few hours to do something else (if pulling an all nighter take that 1 hour and nap). This supports the fact that you do not have to study more hours to learn more, study smart not hard. If you are getting overwhelmed reduce your study hours.
- Learn your hour, if you work full time learn what hours you do best studying. Do you need to get up a few hours earlier or stay up a few hours later? Keep in mind all nighters don’t work (but if you have to do them use the method mentioned above). Going to sleep after studying is proven to help information retention so if you have to pull an all nighter the naps will help.
- Talk with your boss, see how they feel about you studying on the job. People cannot help you if you do not talk to them. If your boss is not cool study for a SHORT while on break, as mentioned above don't try and study so much you stress yourself out.
- If you go to school online have a cut off hour. That is, you stop doing school work (including studying) at set time every day. Mine was 8, it is now 5. If you're stressed you cannot remember as much play around with the times and see what works best for you. (if you study every day of the week I also suggest doing this).
I maybe study an extra 20 hours a week. I maintain a 3.4 GPA (could have been better but I did not have these tips). What I am saying is you can do this! If you have any tips you want to share please leave your tips in the comments.